Library Administrative Manual
2.11 OPAC Policies and Practices Review Committee
I. Purpose & Responsiblities
The OPAC Policies and Practices Review Committee is an advisory committee reporting to the Head of the Systems and Collection Management Services and is charged to:
- review existing policies and practices in all processing units in the Library affecting the display and content of all types of records in the Library's online public catalog;
- recommend changes in policies and practices which would provide consistency in the display and content of records and enhance the public use of records
- recommend new policies as needed for new materials or collections
- document policies and practices affecting the display and content of records in the public catalog
- review changes in national cataloging policies and practices for implementation in the Library's public catalog.
The Committee is composed of Library faculty with ongoing cataloging responsibilities, the Head of Cataloging Services, the Head of Government Publications, the Head of Media Access Center, Serials Librarian, and a faculty member from the Information, Research and Instructional Services (IRIS). The Head of the IRIS serves as an ex officio member of the Committee. The Chair is appointed by the Head of Systems & Collection Management Services. The Committee will consult widely on proposed policy and practices and may, as needed, work with other existing committees or appoint ad hoc groups to study issues identified by the Committee. Other groups that may be consulted from time to time include the Innopac Review Committee, the Web Group, the Collection Management Group, and the Serials Working Group.