Friends of the Library (FOL)
The Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library (FOL) is a nonprofit affiliate of the university organized to promote community support for the campus Library. Since its beginning in 1980, the Friends have raised funds to sustain quality in the Library and to bring added excellence to Library services and collections.
Activities of the Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library
The Friends organization:
- Raises funds
- Facilitates memorials
- Helps to build the Library's collections
- Contributes to the Library's programs, services and technology
- Sponsors special events
- Promotes the love of books
How to join
Arrangements may be made to join the Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library:
- In person at the Friends' Office, Room 120A, Mon - Fri, Telephone: (415) 338-2408. Or at the Book Checkout & Pickup Counter. See Library hours. Money orders or personal checks only.
- By mail: Send the completed form and a money order or check made out to: SF State/ Friends of Leonard Library. Mail to:
Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132
- You may fill out the application form online, print it out and bring or mail it to the Friends' Office (form requires Acrobat Reader and access to a printer).
Membership Privileges & Categories
The following levels of contributions are available. (The fees and conditions are subject to budget constraints and/or changes in library policy.) All levels enjoy access to newspapers, reference materials, special collections, collections of compact discs, videotapes, videodiscs, musical scores, and parts.
- One year's borrowing privileges* at the J. Paul Leonard Library: no more than 20 books charged to your name at any one time; 2 renewals per title.
- One year's subscription to the Friends' newsletter: Leonard Letter.
- Use of online and CD-ROM databases on campus.
Effective May 1, 2013
|Regular||$50 annually||loan of 20 books for 28 days with 2 renewals|
or FOL volunteer]
|same as Regular member|
|Sustaining||$100 annually||same as Regular member + use of “guest” computers [2 hours per day] or laptops [4 hours per day] in any area of the Library open to non-SF State users. Ability to register for guest WiFi access
by semester (fall, spring, summer)
|same as Sustaining member + use of designated editing stations in the Digital Media Studio [3 hours per day]|
in 5 installments
|same as Regular member + Sustaining members’ privileges for an additional annual fee of $50; or Contributing members’ privileges for an additional annual fee of $200|
*Some restrictions apply: Friends have access to most services except interlibrary loans, holds on materials, Reserve materials and off-campus access to Library databases and electronic journals. During periods of high demand for specialized services, current SFSU students/faculty have priority. Other restrictions are based on categories above. Friends, like other library users, are responsible for any late, lost or damaged material fees that accrue as a result of access to library services.
For additional information, please call (415) 338-2408 or contact the Friends by email: email@example.com.
The Friends Booksale Room, is located in Room 120A. The Friends Booksale Room sells used books, recordings, art prints, etc. A few books are superseded volumes or cast-offs from the Library, but most are donated by friends and colleagues. During Fall and Spring semesters, the Booksale Room is staffed by volunteers Monday through Friday. Specific hours can be obtained by calling 338-2408 or by looking at the Library Hours.
Donations of books are welcomed and may be tax deductible. You may arrange a pick-up of your donation by calling 338-2408.
The Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library sponsor special lectures, exhibits and fund-raising events from time to time. We publish a newsletter, the Leonard Letter, two or three times a year for members that lists upcoming events and reports on activities.
Fundraising and Donations
The Friends solicit funds for Library services, programs, and acquisitions that are not normally included in the Library's budget and are actively fundraising in support of the Library Building Campaign. Funds are raised by pursuing gifts, donations, and grants and by operating a Booksale Room in Room 120A. Donate online by clicking here. Choose “Other” from the drop down menu of I Would Like to Support, then type Friends of the Library.
Promoting the Use of Libraries and the Love of Books
The Friends promote:
- Use of libraries
- Love of books
- Book reading
- Book collecting
- Use of non-book materials
Watch for announcements of special events in the Friends' newsletter: the Leonard Letter.
Honoring and Memorializing Members of the Community
The Friends provide opportunities for honoring or memorializing members of the SFSU community through the purchase of books and other library materials. The donor or honoree may be recognized by book plates or other inscriptions.
Projects funded by the Friends:
- Acquiring books not covered by regular funds
- Start up funding for collections for new academic programs
- Establishment of the TV News Archives
- Acquiring videotapes in art and dance
- CD-ROM workstations
- Development opportunities for our Library staff
- New tables and chairs in study areas